Q: Serpentine belt/AC Compressor

When my car is running I can hear a grinding noise. A few weeks ago my AC compressor stopped working (the clutch would not engage, so the compressor would never activate). Could the AC compressor have anything to do with the noise?

The A/C compressor or the compressor pulley bearing may be the cause of the noise you’re hearing. You should also check the idler and tension pulleys while you’re at it.

If you’d like some help with pinpointing the noise, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can assist you at your home or office.