Q: My cars speedometer just now started wiggling and going back and forth and sometimes to 0 mph.

asked by on October 08, 2016

do you think I should change the speed sensor? It will will rev up when I first crank my car then take off. It also don't want to fly up hill as fast as many cars it feels like it wont get out of that 2nd to last gear and go into last gear when going up slightly steep hills on the high way. We got it test. It said something about the knock sensor. I just want to know whether to change the speed sensor or the speedometer.

I would recommend changing the speedometer. I recommend this because the speedometer on older vehicles from the 90s have a manual gear that turns the it. It seems as if the gear has broken and only contacts the needle some of the time moving the needle randomly. I would recommend having this installed professionally in order to be sure no other issues exist and in order to get a warranty on the repair in case any further problems arise. If you would like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can replace your speedometer, at the convenience of your schedule.