Q: My car won't start what can it be

I was wondering if you guys have any idea we have changed the alternator the gas pump spark plugs and the start works fine but we have not gotten it to work.

A car needs fuel, air, and spark to start, if there is any problem with one of those three then the car may not start, or will not run correctly.

The first thing I would check would be to see if the vehicle has spark. If you find you do not have spark, I would check on the ignition coil, crank sensor, and cam sensor. It is not uncommon for ignition coils and cam sensor to fail on these vehicles, especially as they hit higher mileage numbers. If all of those check out then the problem may not be with the ignition system.

I would then check to make sure that your fuel pump is working correctly and getting power. If the fuel pump relay fails, or there is a problem with the computer, the fuel pump may not get power, even if it is functioning properly. I would also check to see if there are any engine codes that may give hints as to what the source of the problem may be.

Finally I would recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come out and diagnose why your car is not starting.

3. My car won't start what can it be