Q: My car won't start

At first, I tried changing the serpentine belt because I found out that the old one was broken. Then I tried jump starting the car, which worked for a minute, but once I turned on the A.C., the car or engine just stopped running. Then I charged the car battery for like 10 hours. It still wont start. What is the problem? Do I need to charge the battery for a longer period of time? Or do I need to buy a new battery (which I cant really afford)? Or is the problem the alternator? Also, the battery light does seem to come on when I try to start the car. But what could be the problem?

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

There could honestly be a dozen problems that are causing your 2006 Ford to not start. However, more often than not, it’s not a major mechanical issue. In most cases, O2 sensors or other electrical sensors that control fuel flow, idle speed or air / fuel mixture commonly cause an engine to lose fire, especially if the AC or other accessory items are engaged.

In regards to your battery charging question, the answer I can give you is to always charge your battery based on the battery charger settings. If you set it up for a trickle charge, it might take more than 10 hours.

For this situation, your best bet may be to contact a certified mechanic so they can complete a non-starting inspection for you. They will be able to diagnose your problem and make the repairs to get you back on the road.

3. My car won't start