Q: My car stopped blowing heat and air out of the vents and on the floor.

asked by on February 27, 2017

I have a 2010 Cadillac CTS 3.0 V6 Engine. When I turn the heat or a/c on nothing blows out of the vents or on the floor. Slowly the defroster will sometimes defrost the front windshield and sometimes I can feel some heat on my feet when I have the heater on, but nothing is blowing. The blower stopped working without any warning, such as hearing a noise or working intermittently.

This may be related to a faulty blower motor or blower motor relay. Occasionally, the blower motor itself will wear out or become faulty working intermittently as the brush contacts inside the motor wear out. The blower motor relay supplies power to this motor when you turn the switch to "on" that can sometimes fail. When this happens, you may notice that you will not feel anything blowing out of the vents at all. This may also cause the blower motor to work intermittently. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your vehicle’s blower motor system.