Q: My car stalls 4 or 5 times when starting cold

My car will stall several times when starting cold and I have to give it more gas to keep it from stalling when driving. It bogs down like it is going to die when I'm driving it before it warms up completely. Once its warmed up, it won't stall. Before it warms up, it really lags when driving down the road, and then all of a sudden it acts normal. I have a lack of power especially climbing hills. The timing has been checked and is set right. I have cleaned the IAC. There isn't a MAF sensor, but I do have a MAP sensor. Could this be a engine temperature sensor, O2 sensor, Throttle position sensor or other issue?

A: Hi, thanks for your question. You should <a...

Hi, thanks for your question. You should check the MAP sensor first to see if it is reading the correct altitude for your location. Sometimes the sensor will read that you are at 10000 feet when you are at 100 feet above sea level. If the sensor is working fine, then you may either have carbon build up on the valves and need carbon cleaned from the combustion chambers using Ford induction system cleaner and following the directions on the can. Once the carbon is cleaned, check to make sure the fuel pressure is okay and filter is clean. If you are still experiencing problems, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.