Q: To repair or replace a bumper?

I bumped into a Mazda while backing up (5kmph tops), but the quote they sent me for damage repair is over $1000. The quote says they're planning to replace the rear bumper, but the damage was extremely minimal, and the bumper is completely functional. Has a couple scratches, but not even a dent. Barely even visible damage. Definitely nothing that would warrant a replacement. Why would the bumper would possibly need replacing?

Hello, and thank you for writing in. Unfortunately when any type of damage is done to another car, expect a minimum of $500 after insurance and repair bills are involved. The cost will include the part, labor, and possibly a rental while the Mazda is in the shop. With that being said, the cost of the bumper will depend on the year and model of the vehicle which was damaged. They vary, but are generally anywhere between $50-300. The bumper if not replaced would likely need to be resurfaced and painted. By the time this work is done and the bumper is repainted, the price may even be more expensive and time consuming. You may want to reach out and touch base with their insurance company to verify what all you are being charged for. If you are not dealing with an insurance company, then you may also want to try asking them to receive another quote, or offer to do it for them. Good luck!

3. To repair or replace a bumper?