Q: 2000 ford excursion v10 altinateor replaced still not charging, can drive 45 min before battery dies and truck stops running

asked by on May 13, 2017

Replace the alternator it still does not charge the battery you can drive it for 45 minutes before it drains the battery down at truck stops the battery will be recharged in the truck will run for another 45 minutes driving and then the battery is drained and dead again all the connections are cleaned and reinstalled and not understanding what the problem could be

Hello, thank you for writing in. This is going to be a process of elimination. To start, the charging system may be having issues with the battery or the alternator. Both should be tested to make sure they are working correctly. While it is rare that new parts come faulty, it is not impossible. The battery may also be having issues holding a charge. All the connections from the alternator to the battery need to be clean, dry, and tight. If both pass their tests, then you may have something pulling extra power from the vehicle. Tests for a parasitic draw can be done with the vehicle off and while running. For help with further testing, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.