Q: My car sputters during warm up.

asked by on September 25, 2016

Whenever I start my car after 20-50 seconds it will sputter as if its running out of gas for about 5 seconds, then it will be fine for the rest of the time the car is running. Please help

This is usually a common issue when the idle air control module/valve not functioning properly. This is a component that regulates the air intake as it is mixed with fuel just prior to being injected into the motor at idle speed. This may also be a be a result of a faulty throttle position sensor. This monitors the position of your foot on the gas pedal and relays this info to the car’s computer which then directs the fuel injection system to supply more or less fuel to the motor. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your home to diagnose and repair the sputtering problem.