Q: Speed vs. Torque

I am building a robot for a competition, and I'm a huge truck guy, but have never had the background to learn from friends/family the basics of it all. I've done my best to look it all up, but obviously not many people bother to ask these questions online. First off, i want to confirm that the less gears, the higher the torque, and the more gears, the slower the acceleration but higher speed. Also, if you have any tips you're willing to offer about increasing torque/speed, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you compare the concept to some small remote control cars and trucks out there, they have a two speed rear ends to have great low speed torque and use shift gears to have great high speeds. When it comes to having more torque and more speed, the main factor will be the horsepower of the motor running the gears.