Q: Oil coming from oil filter

asked by on October 09, 2016

Hi I wanted to ask how does the oil get around an oil filter which had clearly been pouring out of. I have noticed a large amount of oil on the bottom of my car under my Bonet and all over parts around where the oil filter is. I have lost all the oil and didn't realised this until my car give and stopped working and saw under the bonnet that the oil filter wasn't screwedon correctly as I was able to screw it back tightly. The oil was still leaking from the car as it was all over the bottom. I had a service back in February this year and I haven't touched the filter. Has this been caused by the people that have fitted the oil filter. I can't understand how the oil filter has come lose and caused the oil to drop every where ax much as it has. Please help me understand how this has happened

If the filter is not tightened properly the vibrations of engine can work the filter loose over time. If you tightened the filter and it was still leaking that means that there was a problem with the seal on the filter. If you would like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to definitively diagnose the oil leak and make necessary repairs.