Q: My car shut down after it running 'loud' for about 20 miles, steering stopped working once I took exit and wouldn't turn back on.

Yesterday I noticed my car was running louder than usual when I started it, then restarted and same. It was drive able so I went to my destination. I noticed it smelled like burning rubber and was still loud (sounded like someone was holding their shoe on a running treadmill). Checked the oil, nothing looked broke or out of place. I drove to work this morning (about 20 miles), still sounded the same but drove it. As I took my exit and was turning, my steering wheel got heavy and barely movable but was able to move to the side of the road. A dashboard light then turned on "Electric Power Steering System Warning" and then it shut off and wouldn't turn back on. When the tow guy came, he jump started it with battery and was able to get my car to work. He suggested it could be my alternator going out. But I don't think my car is drive able now. Any thoughts?

It sounds like you have a belt that failed. It is common for the serpentine belt tensioner to fail and cause the belt to come loose on the engine. This will cause the voltage to become very low due to the alternator not charging. I would check the belt to see if it is still intact and tight. If not then it needs to be repaired. If it is fine then the alternator itself may have actually failed. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose why this burning smell occurred] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/smell-in-the-car-inspection

3. My car shut down after it running 'loud' for about 20 miles, steering stopped working once I took exit and wouldn't turn back on.