Q: While driving, after slowing down, not often but sometimes, when I press on the gas, car doesn't accelerate but RMPs go up. Why?

This issue has only happened three or four times. But while driving (typically while going slow or coming to a stop or after stopping), the car with all of the sudden not let you accelerate but the RPMs will increase like if you were to press on the gas with that much force. The car has been inspected a few months ago and the mechanic said it was in excellent condition. Please help!

If engine RPM’s are increasing, but there is no corresponding forward movement or acceleration, the transmission is slipping. That slippage can be caused by faults in the transmission clutches but underlying that fault could be hydraulic control system faults. A clutch in the transmission stays engaged due to hydraulic line pressure that is generated by the transmission oil pump, pressure that is controlled by the valve body. If the problem is intermittent, a scan tool that records transmission operating parameters would have to be applied to pinpoint the fault. Depending on exactly how the symptom presents, there is also a possibility that the transmission is in the wrong gear and that could be due to more mundane (and less costly to fix) causes such as faulty sensors. If you desire a diagnostic, simply request service and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. While driving, after slowing down, not often but sometimes, when I press on the gas, car doesn't accelerate but RMPs go up. Why?