Q: Electrical problems

A couple of days ago, my radio died suddenly - no warning, had been working fine. Then when I turn my vehicle off and attempt to use my key fob to lock it, it doesn't work. As a matter of fact, nothing battery-powered works when it's off - the interior lights won't turn on, the lock/unlock button won't work. No issues turning the engine over, and that same button works with the vehicle on (although the key fob still doesn't).

Plus my dash is working a bit differently. Before when I turned my vehicle on, my odometer came on right away. Now, all my guages go all the way up, and when they go back down, then my odometer reading shows up. And before when I turned my vehicle off, the odometer reading went away right away, whereas now it stays on for a while before disappearing.

Not sure how coherent my problem is. Does this sound like any particular problem? It drives fine, but it worries me that my radio and locks and the on/off process of my dash all changed in one day.

A: Hi there. It sounds like a blown fuse that ...

Hi there. It sounds like a blown fuse that supplies power to the accessories. Check all the fuses and replace as necessary. Recheck to see if the operation is as specified. There could be a short circuit if the fuse blows again or if there is no power to fuse there could be a loose or broken wire. These possible faults in the circuit will require the electrical wiring diagram and proper diagnostic tools to determine the location of the faults. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with an electrical problems inspection.