Q: My car makes a short squeak noise when I start it. Lasts about half a second. My cousin pointed it out and since then I’m worried.

asked by on March 26, 2018

When I start up it makes a short squeak when engine is starting up very short. I’ve also noticed sometimes I stick the key in and the car just makes the start up noise but doesent turn over. This has happened about 3 times in the past couple of months. Freaks me out but then I try the second time and it turns over

Squeaking is often drive belt or pulley related but in your case the starter motor would have to be considered as well. If the starter turns, or you hear significant noise at starting, but the engine literally is not turning over at all, that should be checked out resolved as soon as possible because that symptom raises the possibility of a category of malfunction that can damage the ring gear on the flex plate (the starter engages the ring gear to turn over the engine); if the starter pinion gear is scraping against the ring gear, that can cause some damage). If you desire a diagnostic of this noise issue, and any required repairs, please schedule service at your convenience via YourMechanic’s vehicle noise diagnostic service request page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.