Q: my car is stuck in park and break pedal is tight?

asked by on December 14, 2016

The car wont come out of park and break pedal is tight. I used reset button yesterday and it worked. Now such luck today. What is causing this issue?

Hello, thank you for writing in. There are typically three different components that serve as safety devices for vehicles with automatic transmissions. These make sure the vehicle is not taken out of gear unless intended to, which is a good thing. The first to consider testing is the ignition switch. The second is the brake light switch which makes sure the brake pedal is depressed before the vehicle can be removed from park. The third is the shift interlock solenoid. Any one of these components could be the reason there is an issue and need to be replaced. More testing is needed.