Car is accelerating without pushing gas, full rev when pl...

Q: Car is accelerating without pushing gas, full rev when placed in park, should I drive it home from work? 28 miles away, oceanside

asked by on June 05, 2017

This started on my way to work today when I noticed the car seemed to be accelerating even when I wasn't pushing the gas pedal and that braking began to get more difficult as well whenever I wanted to come to a complete stop or near a complete stop...when I finally got to work and placed the car in park, the issue was even worse, as the engine revved fully as if I was pushing the gas pedal to the floor. While I do have concern about what the issue is and will take it to a mechanic in the morning, my biggest concern right now is is this car safe to drive home? I live 28 miles away and its basically all freeway, but still...

Hi there. This issue is typically caused by a malfunction of the cruise control system or throttle control. However it can also be caused by something as simple as the carpet or floor mats pressing down on the accelerator accidentally. If you start your car and the throttle continues to accelerate, I would highly recommend not driving the vehicle home; as it’s unsafe to drive. I would double check the floor mat to make sure that’s not the problem and start the car to see if the issue continues. If it does not, drive home careful and get the car to a mechanic as soon as possible.