Q: Gauges don’t work anymore

I drive a 2007 Honda CR-V and the dash cluster started getting all glitchy and weird at about 75,000 miles. That does seem a bit early for such a serious issue. At this point the dash cluster is nearly useless. I do not know how to fix this problem and I don’t know if it’s a computer thing or a hardware thing. How can I get this problem properly diagnosed without taking the car apart?

A: After looking into the issue of erratic ope...

After looking into the issue of erratic operation of the instrument clusters on the CRV, I have to first say that there have been no recalls to fix this problem. There have been other owners having similar issues as you are having. There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) pertaining to the battery causing the cluster to work erratically. Your battery may start your car and seem to be working properly, but if the battery voltage is not within specifications required by the CRV instrument cluster, it may cause issues. To do a complete check of your CRV electrical system you should contact YourMechanic to diagnose the cluster and test all systems, including the battery and computer. If the battery and starting system check ok, they will diagnose the computer and cluster for a possible defective instrument cluster. Some owners have needlessly replaced the cluster assembly, and a proper diagnosis may help you prevent replacing good components.