Q: My car will crank but will not start.

Yesterday I was driving my car perfectly fine. I went home and the car sat for like 15mins before I decided to leave to go out. But when I attempted to start my car she wouldn't turn over. She would crank but just wouldn't turn over. So I went through the priority list of Air, Spark, and Fuel. My starter and battery is brand new not even a full month old year. The alternator is working, I just tested the fuel pump and that's working as well. Now a couple of my friends came up with some self diagnosis, and one thing we came up with GODFORBID is the timing belt. Now if it is indeed the timing belt its not replacing or how to replace it isn't the problem. What I truly want to know is if the timing belt indeed did break. What is the likely hood of it breaking other internal engine parts, and if it did cause damage to the other internal parts. Is the motor done for ?

Hi there. If your engine was running just fine and then after sitting for 15 minutes and then all of a sudden the engine will not start up but it cranks, then there could be an issue with the igniter in the ignition system. Even if the engine is getting spark, if the igniter is not firing correctly, the engine will not start up. If the engine cranks normal and has no strange restrictions, then there is nothing wrong with the timing belt. If the engine is cranking abnormal and has lunging pulsing on the cranking, then the timing belt broke. Your engine is a non interference engine, so when the belt breaks nothing will be damaged in the engine. If you need further assistance with your engine cranking but not starting, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Q: My car will crank but will not start.