Q: My car is slow to start

asked by on March 26, 2017

My car hasn't had any issues with turning over. But it's slow to start, nothing alarming but not what I am used to. If I turn the key it takes 2-3 seconds to start up. If I drive it then turn it off and turn it back on the car starts right up. I've had the starter, alternator and battery tested multiple times all is good. I tried switching the car in acc a few times when the car sits and I notice it starts up quicker. I don't have any jitteryness and the car seems to run fine. Can be a little sluggish but it's a slow car to begin with.

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Typically what you are describing is an indication that a tune up service is due. As the vehicle’s ignition and fuel system components age, they will collect excessive levels of carbon deposits, which makes it more difficult to ignite the fuel / air mixture in the cylinder. This is why it takes a few seconds of cranking to actually fire up. A traditional tune up includes replacing the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor and coil packs. It also includes cleaning the fuel injectors, the throttle body, and possibly replacing mass air flow sensor. However, there could be other components that are damaged that are causing this issue; so before you replace any parts, I would recommend having one of our professional mobile mechanics come to your location and complete a car is hard to start inspection; so they can pinpoint the source of your issues and ensure the right repairs are made.