Q: My car is not starting; what should I replace?

asked by on November 10, 2016

It was starting and running sporadically for a few months and now won't start at all. The starter/engine turns over but no spark. In your experience, would you replace the crank timing piece, the coil pack or something else (beyond plugs and wires)?

Your engine’s computer gets crank signals from the crankshaft and camshaft sensors and then uses these signals to fire the coils. To see if the sensors are sending these signals to the computer, you can scan the computer using a scanner tool and the data can be monitored from these two sensors. If one of the sensor signals is missing, the engine may not fire and that sensor would need to be replaced. If you have both correct signals from those two sensors, then you will need to have the coils tested to see if the computer is sending the appropriate signals to activate the coils. If the coils are getting these signals, then you’ll need to replace the coils, but if not, then you’ll need to replace the engine’s computer as this has the spark control built into it. If you would like some professional assistance with this issue, consider contacting a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can properly diagnose your no start condition.