Q: My car is making a noise near the front end

I'm getting a tire noise that sounds like "wub wub wub" (almost a rubbing noise) from the front end. I can only hear it when the windows are up. It correlates with speed. It is more noticeable as you speed up, and then is eventually drowned out at highway speed. I took it to a big parking lot and drove in a circle, and it's most noticeable right around 25 mph. It sounds just as bad going left and going right. It is slightly noticeable when driving in a straight line, but turning gets it the most. The car has 70,000 miles on it. I had the brakes, rotors and tires down about 5,000 miles ago. It doesn't sound like any wheel bearing I've ever dealt with before, but my research online seems to suggest that is the culprit. I did have an issue with the front right tire when they were recently installed (when I had the brakes/rotors/tires done). I was getting steering wheel vibration at highways speeds, and balancing didn't solve it. I had it road force balanced and that one tire was very high. had the tire replaced and the vibration went away. Now this noise has started. I don't get any brake judder when I hit the brakes, either. Any suggestions?

Did you only replace the one tire? If you’ve noticed the front tires having uneven tread than the other then you will get a tire noise from the transaxle trying to turn the wheels at the same speed. Since one tire is taller than the other it will make a noise.

Have the two unequal tires moved to the back and see if the noise goes away. If it does, then you will know to replace the two tires at the same time next time you have to replace a tire or move the unequal set to the back. If you need help with these checks, get assistance from a professional mechanic who can diagnose and fix the noise you’re experiencing.