Q: My car is making a knocking noise - 2003 Toyota Corolla

asked by on October 18, 2016

My car is making a knocking noise and just yesterday while I was driving on the highway the engine oil light came on and the car stopped. Then I turned the car on then off and continued driving but from that point on the car has been making a loud knocking noise. What could this be?
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Hi there. From the description you have provided, the knocking noise in your engine is serious. The engine oil light coming on while driving down the highway, then quit running is equally concerning. Assuming you have had the engine’s oil level and condition checked, this leads me to believe the engine has had an internal failure. The knocking noise could be caused by a spun connecting rod bearing. An engine overhaul or replacement would be required. I recommend having your vehicle’s engine knocking noise be inspected and diagnosed by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic.