Q: Car overheated now won't start

asked by on June 25, 2017

My car started overheating last Tuesday maybe 10 seconds before it went into auto shutdown. I pulled over seen some over spray under the hood . Checked coolant reservoir about 40 minutes later was little low . I believe hose from reservoir to motor went out(cracked). Towed it home I filled with water and wouldn't start.... I had codes for p0016 and p0344 after replacing the camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor it still didn't start. I sprayed starting fluid into the intake and still didn't fire up. What's the issue? Don't want to keep blindly throwing money at it. Each person I've talked to has a different opinion

Hi There, It sounds like you may possibly have a blown head gasket as a result of the overheating. Sensors like crankshaft and camshaft position sensors are also sensitive to extreme temperatures as well which may be what could have caused them to fail. A blown head gasket may cause a number of different symptoms. A head gasket that fails between cylinders will generally cause a misfire and potentially compression leaks from one cylinder into another. Low compression will eventually result in a rough idling engine. When the head gasket fails between a cylinder and the coolant port, coolant may leak into the cylinder causing it to be burnt with the fuel charge in the combustion chamber. This often results in misfires on startup, especially after the engine is run, turned off and restarted and in some cases may result in the engine not maintaining enough cylinder compression to even run or start. This type of failure may not always show with a compression test. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the symptoms you describe.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr