Q: Erratic shifting, 2000 Ford F-150

asked by on August 23, 2016

Basically my truck doesn't know what gear it wants to be in for example you put it in drive and there is a slight delay as you put it into gear then as your driving around a shift point it will shift up just fine and then shift down and up down and up until you move away from the shift point and as you decelerate it shifts like your riding in a manual truck where the gear slows you down really quick like it drops down to many gears..

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2000 Ford F-150. This could potentially be a transmission speed sensor issue or a variety of other transmission malfunctions. As you may know, the transmission speed sensor monitors the gear ratio of the vehicle and relays this information back to the car’s computer telling it what (if any) adjustments to make. When this is faulty, this can cause inaccurate info to be relayed to the computer which will then make inaccurate corrections to the transmission shifting patterns. I suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose the shift problem and advise you on the right repairs.