Q: My coolant light keeps coming on in my Volvo XC90 and I notice that I keep having to fill it because it keeps going below the max

My coolant light keeps coming on in my Volvo XC90 and I notice that I keep having to fill it because it keeps going below the max level line. I do notice that it keeps leaking and now I hear what sounds to be a screeching or dry belt sound every time I drive. I not sure where the leak in coming from but the temperature gauge is still at middle level. any thought as to what it could be.

It sounds like the leaking may be potentially be near or at the water pump, resulting in the coolant leaking onto the belt and causing the squeaking sound. The other possibility may be that the squeaking may be indicating that the pump may be wearing out causing it to be harder to turn causing the squeaking belt. Generally, when a water pump is going bad, you may hear a bit of a whining sound combined with the pump leaking. The most common place for the water pump to leak from is the pulley shaft seal which is in the front of the pump where the shaft comes out of the pump housing. When the pump is leaking, it will typically cause the engine to overheat as well. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your water pump.

• My coolant light keeps coming on in my Volvo XC90 and I notice that I keep having to fill it because it keeps going below the max