Q: My car is losing power while I'm driving.

When I start my car it idles at just over 1000 rpm. After a few minutes it drop to below 1000 rpm. I start driving and it loses power and won't let me go above 2000 rpm. It seems like it's going to stall. So I pull over wait a few minutes until it's stop trying to stall. Then it drives well and never misses a heart beat.

A: Depending on the make and model of your veh...

Depending on the make and model of your vehicle, this may be a common sign of a failing mass air flow sensor. The majority of cars from the early 1990's to today are equipped with a mass air flow sensor. The mass air flow sensor is a unit in the intake system that monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this fails, this can cause an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which often times results in the engine starving for air or fuel. This is what causes the hesitation or loss of power you describe. This can also cause the engine to struggle to idle for the same reason. If you want to have this scoped out, a certified professional from YourMechanic can pinpoint the cause of the lost power and move forward with the proper repair.