Q: My car is briefly shutting off when driving and stalling out when stopped.

My car briefly shut off then came back on again while I was driving at about 50 mph a couple times and completely stalled out when I stopped for a red light. When it stalled, radio and lights were still functioning. Took a little to get it started again. Later I went out to see if it would start, started just fine, but too afraid to test drive it with the way it shuts of briefly while driving and stalling when stopped.

A: Hello. Stalling issues can arise from a var...

Hello. Stalling issues can arise from a variety of faults. Have any warning lights come on? You may want to have the vehicle scanned for codes anyway. Typically you turn to the fuel and spark first to make sure they are working correctly first. You can hook up an inline fuel gauge to make sure you are getting the proper amount of fuel to the engine. This needs to be placed after the fuel filter to test that as well. You can test the spark plug wires to make sure the plugs are receiving a strong enough signal. You may also want to pull the plugs and make sure they are not fouled and are gapped correctly. Several sensors may also be failing, but those should show up on a diagnostic scan. With an issue like this, start with the easiest components to test and work your way through the possibilities until you find the fault.