Q: Battery is dying, even after a jump start.

My 2006 Rav4 seems to have bad alternator, although battery and alternator were changed 2 years ago. After jump start, car starts but dies down after few minutes which implies the bad alternator. I will have to get replaced so I need approx cost in NJ. I guess the alternator is about 120-150 bucks and what would be the labor cost?

As you know the alternator is responsible for charging the battery and when not working properly will cause the battery to die prematurely. This may also be potentially related to the voltage regulator not working properly.

This is a unit that regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator to ensure that it is not over charged or under charged and the correct amperage is maintained. When this is not working properly, this may result in the battery not being charged with an otherwise good alternator.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose the issue with your battery and help you fix it accordingly.