Q: My brakes are loud and shake when I stop

The brakes on my 2008 Honda Accord have grown incredibly noisy. They squeak loudly when the brakes are applied. This is usually accompanied by a lot of vibration as well. It's very uncomfortable and I don't think that a car with only 50,000 miles on it should have these problems. What can I do to fix this and not have to deal with it again?

A: It is never a good feeling when you go to a...

It is never a good feeling when you go to apply your brakes and you feel/hear vibrations or noises that should not be there! From what you are describing to me, it sounds as if you are having metal rubbing against metal in your vehicle. There is a known brake concern with all Honda Accords that were manufactured between 2008 and 2010, which was thought to cause louder noises or vibrations during braking. Due to this known issue, Honda has issued a technical service bulletin with new information and updated parts to correct brake noise and vibrations. These updated parts consist of revised brake pads that are not only tougher and bigger, but also utilize a V spring to aid in longer overall wear. While updating your vehicle with these new parts is the first step in alleviating this problem, I highly recommend you also visit your local certified Honda dealership to have them adjust what is known as your Electronic Braking Distribution system as well. The Electronic Braking Distribution system is responsible for applying and relieving the brakes at each wheel. These steps will ensure you that you are getting the most out of your braking system.