Q: bleach water gas tank

I had a gallon of bleach water put in my gas tank a week ago, my check engine light is on but i havent had any problems driving my car. Is it okay or should i be worried still?

A: The problem with bleach is that it can dama...

The problem with bleach is that it can damage anything that is stainless steel. You may have it in the fuel lines of your fuel system, along with small parts in your fuel injectors. The bleach will clear your fuel system pretty quickly if you keep filling your tank with fuel every time you get down to a 1/2 tank.

Do not let it get lower than this until about 4 tanks of fuel have been burned. This should clear out most of the bleach water. You can also put in a bottle of dry gas additive when you fill up. The ethanol will help neutralize the bleach and disperse the water. After the 4 tanks of fuel then you will need to have the Check Engine Light checked to see if any sensors have been damaged. If a misfire code comes up then clear the code and see if it returns. The water may have caused misfires.

When the time comes, I'd suggest you get some assistance from a certified mechanic to diagnose your Check Engine Light and repair any sensors that show up to be damaged.