Q: I see small amount of coolant underneath by thermostat.

asked by on August 28, 2016

My car is not overheating and it does not have a check engine light on. But every once in a while I'll look underneath the hood right by the thermostat kind of underneath it I'll see a few drops that looks like coolant. Every once in a while I'll look underneath my car and I can see maybe a little leak but nothing major. Please if anybody can help thank you

Hi there. It sounds like you either have a thermostat gasket that is leaking or possibly a failure in the intake manifold. It is very common for the intake manifolds on this engine to fail and cause this. It can also be the radiator hose if the clamp is failing. I usually pressure test the system first which will show me where the leak is. From there it can be fixed. It may be something simple like the hose or as difficult as the intake manifold. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the fluid leak firsthand.