Q: How do I use the hazard lights?

How do I use the hazard lights?

Your car’s hazard lights provide you with essential visibility and should be used in any situation where you find yourself forced to the side of the road. You should use your hazard lights day or night – they help warn oncoming drivers that your car is there, so they can exercise caution. That increases your safety, as well as theirs. Depending on where you live, you might also be legally allowed to use your hazard lights during severe weather (very heavy rain, heavy snow, etc.), but you’ll need to check your local laws as this isn’t legal in all states. Here’s how to use your hazard lights:

1. Locate the hazard button on the right side of the audio system.

2. Press the button. All four turn signals should turn on and start flashing simultaneously. The turn signal indicators in the dash should also flash.

3. Push the button again to turn off your hazard lights.

Tip

Be aware that your hazard lights will work with the ignition on or off. If the engine isn’t running, the lights will flash until the battery is drained. Turn them off as soon as possible to prevent this.