Q: My 2002 mazda protege 5 is flashing the o/d light

asked by on July 24, 2017

My car is shifting back and forth between 1st and 2nd, and won't even shift into 3rd, the speedometer is going on and off, the o/d light is flashing, the check engine light is on, the RPM is all over the place! Are these sure signs the tps is bad?

Hi There, If your overdrive light is blinking (like a turn signal or hazard light), it is indicating that there is a problem with your car’s transmission. It could be the shift solenoid or possibly the speed or range sensors. There are many different issues that can cause the light to flash. When your transmission’s control unit senses an issue, it will store a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) in the computer. To determine what may be causing this, I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to download the trouble codes stored in the computer which will indicate more specifically what may be causing this.