Q: Changing automatic transmission fluid

My car has gone 120,00 miles. It takes the car up to 8 seconds to shift from park to first gear. This differs depending on the outside temperatures. It usually shifts quicker in the summer. However, I was wondering if I should add tranny fluid. I checked the engine comaprtment which indicated low ATF level. How do I do this properly? Are there any rules as to the type or the way it needs to be done?

Hello. There’s an update available for the transmission control module on your 2003 BMW 330xi that is related to erratic transmission shifting. Call your local BMW dealership to determine if the update has been done. Performing the update should resolve your shifting problems. If the transmission fluid is low and the transmission fluid is serviceable through the top, you’ll be able to add it through the dipstick tube. Put a funnel inside of the dipstick tube and add the proper transmission fluid.

Intermittently check the transmission level to ensure that you don’t overfill it. If the fluid became low, you may have a transmission fluid leak. It is best to have the transmission inspected by a technician to determine if it is leaking. If it is leaking, have the leak repaired to bring the fluid level back to its intended specifications.

3. Changing automatic transmission fluid