Q: My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee was driving okay but now when I go to press the gas pedal it does not accelerate

The Jeep seemed to be driving fine but then once I got home and left with it again as I was driving down the road I noticed when I pressed the pedal it would not accelerate whatsoever and then I further realized it would make a clunking noise when I pressed the pedal. I have no idea what this could be and need some help

What you are describing sounds like you may have a clogged or damaged catalytic converter. The catalytic converter converts toxic exhaust gases into less harmful pollutants that are suitable to be expelled into the atmosphere. When the catalytic converter is clogged, this causes these gases to be backed up into the exhaust system not allowing the engine to breathe properly. When this happens, the engine is forced to work much harder to expel these gases. This often results in the engine bogging down, hesitating, shaking and causing very poor fuel economy. This should also cause a check engine light to come on as the O2 sensors should be reading the incorrect amounts of oxygen in the exhaust gases if this is your problem. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. My 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee was driving okay but now when I go to press the gas pedal it does not accelerate