Q: Transmission failsafe program

My transmission failsafe program message came on my dash . Did a manual reset of the computer didn't work. Changed the battery as well because I read it could be the battery or aletnator that did not work as well. When i put the car in reverse I get a knocking noise , worried it's something to do with the transimission . Any advice appreciated . Thanks

When you get the transmission fail safe warning, it means the transmission controller has detected a fault in the transmission or in the various sensors that it reads. The controller can adapt to a certain amount of wear and tear in the transmission, but when it reaches a point where it can no longer adapt, it will go into failsafe so that the transmission can continue to operate, though not as well. The transmission controller will have stored fault codes to help specify where the problem lies. You need to have this thing checked out by someone with the capability to read and interpret the codes. By contacting Your Mechanic, you can have a technician com to your home or office to check out your BMW, read the codes and let you know what steps you need to take to fix it.