Q: AC recharge

I have a 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. The air conditioning in the SUV blows cool, but not cold. I'd like to add freon to it, but was told by some people that I need to take the SUV to the Ford dealer because of a special type of oil that the hybrid takes. To my knowledge, the SUV has not leaked any oil from the compressor, so I don't know why I would need to add special oil. In my years of ownership, I have never charged the system. The SUV has 134,000 miles on it. I had planned to get a can or two of 134a freon from the store and add it to the low pressure valve of the AC system to get the system cooling again. Can I do this? BTW, I did check my compressor and it turns on and off as it should, so there appears to be freon left in the system.

Thank you, Ryan

A: You certainly can add your own refrigerant,...

You certainly can add your own refrigerant, but be careful to not put too much in. Don't worry about adding oil, that is something you do if you replace components. They sell refrigerant cans with a built in gauge and charge adapter. One can is all you will need. Follow the directions on the can and you should be fine. If you are still having trouble, a certified technician, like one from, will be able to determine the exact cause of your concern and properly charge your system.