Q: Car stalls and sputters while in idle

asked by on August 25, 2017

While in idle my car sputters and stalls at least once a day and occasionally knocks. I've taken my car to my usual mechanic but he could not and has not determined the problem. There is no check engine light on nor do any codes come back when it's hooked up to the machine. I've had the crankshaft position sensor and idle air control valve replaced along with purchasing a new battery (which was on its last leg) still to no avail. Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Have the catalytic converter checked to make sure it is not blocked partly or rattling and sometimes blocking exhaust and stalling car. It can make a knocking noise without codes. Also check to see if camshaft sensor is reading correct and variable valve cam is not returning to idle position can cause this.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr