Q: What’s wrong if nothing happens when I turn the key to crank the engine?

What’s wrong if nothing happens when I turn the key to crank the engine?

When you turn the key in your Accord, you expect the engine to crank. If everything’s working normally, it does. However, if nothing happens when you turn the key, or you hear clicking sound (or a series of clicks), it means something’s gone wrong. You can actually do a couple of things to troubleshoot this yourself.

• Make sure that the car is in park or neutral. The engine won’t crank with the transmission in any other position.

• If you have a stick shift, make sure the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor.

• Turn your ignition on, then turn on the headlights. Check their brightness. If they are dim (or not working at all), chances are the battery is dead and you’ll need a jumpstart.

• Turn the key to III and check to see if the headlights dim. If they don’t, it means there’s a problem with the ignition or the starter. If they do dim (or go out), the problem lies with the battery. It’s either dead, or corrosion is preventing it from working correctly.

3. What’s wrong if nothing happens when I turn the key to crank the engine?