Q: Shifts into reverse but locks up.

I can shift through every gear and even into reverse. It will drive down the road but now when i press the brake there is a clunk. When I put it in reverse, it just locks up and kills. When the vehicle is not running, still won't move backwards, even in neutral.. Any clue?

A: Hello. Thanks for writing in about your For...

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your Ford Ranger. From what you’ve described, your transmission has either a broken gear or the shift forks have broke causing it to get stuck in a forward gear. You will need to have the transmission checked to see if the shifter mechanism broke inside of the transmission. You should have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose your shifting issue firsthand. You’ll be able to get an accurate repair once the issue has been pinpointed. Good luck.