Q: Shifts into reverse but locks up.

I can shift through every gear and even into reverse. It will drive down the road but now when i press the brake there is a clunk. When I put it in reverse, it just locks up and kills. When the vehicle is not running, still won't move backwards, even in neutral.. Any clue?

Hello. Thanks for writing in about your Ford Ranger. From what you’ve described, your transmission has either a broken gear or the shift forks have broke causing it to get stuck in a forward gear. You will need to have the transmission checked to see if the shifter mechanism broke inside of the transmission. You should have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose your shifting issue firsthand. You’ll be able to get an accurate repair once the issue has been pinpointed. Good luck.

3. Shifts into reverse but locks up.