Q: If I have 1 damage wheel bearings would it be smart to replace both in the front or not

asked by on December 07, 2016

If one wheel bearings goes bad, should I replace them at the same time? It's the first time they had been changed

Two schools of thought. 1 - If one is bad and one is good, replace the bad one and worry about the "good" one when it goes "bad". 2 - Considering the age and mileage, if one is bad, the other isn’t far behind. Replace both while you’re at it to save time.

Neither is a wrong way to look at it. Some subscribe to #1, others #2. Me personally, as someone who has worked on cars for decades, I go with #2 always, with my personal vehicles. Why ? I had my 1986 Jetta for 15 years and 250,000 miles. When I did the timing belt every 60,000 miles, I replaced the water pump, thermostat, belts,hoses, cam and crank seals, plugs, cap,rotor,wires, no matter whether they were "good" or not. My friend of 30 years would always joke about how "overkill" I was with my cars. He subscribes to #1. He had to rescue me once, from a 3 foot snow drift. I lost count as to how many times I’ve rescued him broken down on the side of the road.

A certified mobile technician from yourmechanic.com can replace wheel bearings at your convenience.