Q: What should I do if I can’t shift out of park?

What should I do if I can’t shift out of park?

A: Like most other modern vehicles, yours is e...

Like most other modern vehicles, yours is equipped with a safety system designed to prevent you from driving if the Brake Lights aren’t working. However, there are times that this system may malfunction. If your car won’t shift out of park, you can use the brake shift interlock release to shift gears. First, make sure that the Brake Light switch hasn’t failed, that your Brake Light bulbs are working, and that there’s not a blown fuse. If none of those is the problem, here’s how to use the brake shift interlock:

1. Engage the parking brake.
  2. Turn the ignition off.
  3. Take out the key.
  4. Locate the shift interlock cover (it’s on the gearshift face, at the top right).
  5. Pry the cover off using a small flathead screwdriver.
  6. Push the tip of the screwdriver into the hole and press down.
  7. While pushing down, move the gearshift to neutral.
  8. Replace the cap.
  9. Crank the engine.
  10. Take the parking brake off.

If the problem happens again, have your car inspected.