Q: My 2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Buer 5.4L is stalling and engine dies when I go to brake. Before when I would brake the engine rpm would go up.

SUV turns on well idle is rough when I go to accelerate pedal feels rough and when I brake no matter how fast or slow I'm going SUV stalls then dies automatically but starts up fine engine oil cap has a little milky substance but not heavy I took a look inside no milky residue I felt upper radiator hose it was very hard and felt like it was crusty on the inside I recently had a oil change 3 weeks ago and transmission oil change along with gasket and filter same time as well as differential fluid

Hi there. What is happening is there is a vacuum leak that is present during the braking time. The brake booster either has a vacuum valve leaking or a diaphragm leaking. When stepping on the brakes, the vacuum drops causing a leak to the engine. This also is the reason for the rpm’s to raise up just before the engine stalling out. Check the brake booster for any vacuum leaks with a sound of a air rushing noise. If the brake booster is working properly, then the torque converter clutch (TCC) is staying on causing the engine to stall out when coming to a stop with the brake on. If this is the case, then remove the fuse for the torque converter clutch (labeled as TCC) and see if the vehicle no longer stalls out. If the engine no longer stalls out, then replace the TCC solenoid in the transmission. If you need further assistance with your engine stalling out when braking, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. My 2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Buer 5.4L is stalling and engine dies when I go to brake. Before when I would brake the engine rpm would go up.