Q: Multiple pressings to prevent brake pedal going to floor

My brake pedal started getting soft. I have to pump the pedal a lot to make it hold or else it will go all the way to the floor. I do not find any leaks and the reservoir is full. There is no hissing noise when pumping the brake pedal. I am thinking that it might be the master cylinder. In the past year, both the front and the back brakes were replaced. In your expertise, what is the cause of all of this?

A: A failing master cylinder can cause the sym...

A failing master cylinder can cause the symptoms you are experiencing. A technician can attach a clear hose to the bleeder of one of the calipers and examine the volume of brake fluid while applying the brake pedal to estimate fluid flow. Have all line connections inspected for leaks and if no external leaks are found, I would suspect the master cylinder is going bad.