Q: I want to do a muffler delete on my car.

I want to do a muffler delete on my car. Is it legal to have one suppressing device on my car in the Rutherford county. But if I remove the muffler will the resonator still block some of the loud sound I'm looking for?

Hi there. Removing a muffler is illegal on vehicles with gasoline engines that need to pass emissions in counties that suppress the emissions law. For counties that do not enforce the emission law, meaning there is no emission testing required, then removing the muffler would be okay as long as the decibel reading is not high in residential areas. A resonating chamber is not a standard muffler and is not intended to suppress the sound of an exhaust system. However, glass packs and other types of straight mufflers are an option if you are looking for a little louder exhaust with the same purpose of removing a muffler. If you need further assistance with the alternate exhaust mufflers, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Hello. If you remove the muffler you still will get some sound deadening from the resonator and the catalytic converters. As for the legality of this, that depends on where you live. You need to check with local authorities to make sure. Also keep in mind that removing the muffler can affect the readings from your oxygen sensors. I do not recommend removing it, but instead adding a performance one that creates the sound you are looking for.

3. I want to do a muffler delete on my car.