Q: Motor and transmission compatability

My son has a 1997 Chevy S10. It has a 4 cylinder motor. He wants to put in a 6 cylinder motor and transmission. Is there anything compatible?

Hi there, thanks for writing in. The GM 4.3l V6 was also an engine choice for 2nd generation S-10s (1994-2004), so parts and information on a conversion to that drivetrain are plentiful and affordable (as swaps go). Check out the S-10 forums on the Internet for specific guidance, parts to collect, war stories, and successes. And if you run into any issues along the way, feel free to contact YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come out to you and assist you with your vehicle. Best of luck.