Q: Missing lurching no power

2 years ago my truck started missing while driving and it completely quit and wouldn't start again. It sat for a year in my driveway, and then I finally had it towed to a shop where they replaced the fuel pump. It ran great after that until the water pump broke. After I got a new water pump it was OK for a month and then it started missing again. I figured it was the fuel pump, so I changed that. It ran good for a month and started missing again, but this time it was worse than any of the other times before. When I drove down the street and accelerated it wouldn’t have power. Then it would suddenly catch up. The Check Engine light came on and I got codes for the MAP sensor, so I had that replaced.

2 weeks later it started doing the same thing only worse. When it got warm the rpms would jump up and down while idling and it would lurch forward at a stop. I had to put it in neutral to keep it from doing that. The Check engine light came on again with 4 codes - Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Sensor Range/Performance, Manifold Absolute Pressure or Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input, Random - Multiple Misfire Detected, Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Voltage Intermittently Low.

Because I just had the sensor changed I was told it’s something else like the head gasket. It was losing water, but now it isn’t. It never got too hot and there was no water on the dipstick or oil cap. It did fail a block test though. I put the blue devil in when it started missing, but it didn't change a thing. It started missing again today but there is no water on the tail pipe and no water on the oil cap, not losing water and not over heating. Should I just get rid of this truck? What do you think? I really love the room it has. Do you have any suggestions?

A: Hello there, many different faults can caus...

Hello there, many different faults can cause your 1996 Chevy C2500 to misfire and stall like this. In a case like this, the truck should be thoroughly inspected to find the fault so that no more parts are replaced until the fault is identified. Many different faults can cause the type of codes you have seen. The most common are an intake leak, vacuum leak, exhaust leak, spark plugs, distributor, cap and rotor, fuel pump, MAP sensor, alternator or ECU. A qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, will be able to diagnose the vehicle's loss of power and perform any repairs required.