Q: Loud squealing sound and burning rubber smell

asked by on November 08, 2016

Whenever I start my car cold it makes this loud squealing noise, which usually lasts for a few seconds. if I turn on the heat the sound starts again then it starts to smell faintly like burning rubber. I know its one of the belts or hoses but I don't know which one, please help?

Loud squealing or squeaking is coming from timing belt Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

As you know, when your car is started in cold weather in the mornings, the belts are also cold and much less pliable than when they are warm. As the engine speeds up at a much faster pace than the belts can warm up, this is usually what causes the squealing sound you hear which may also in some cases, cause it to burn the belt just slightly causing the burning smell. This can sometimes be corrected when lubricating the belts and/or tightening them up. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to inspect your belt.