Q: Loud humming at 55mph through to 65mph coming from the front of car not wheel bearing and had new tyres 2012 Fiat 500

asked by on March 15, 2017

Hi there is a loud humming at 55mph through to 65mph ive had wheel bearings checked and new tyres. Can feel slight vibration when the noise is heard.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there - not sure how they checked your wheel bearings, but they are still the leading suspect. If the noise is proportional to road speed (increases with road speed), or gets louder when you are on a freeway on/off-ramp, it’s likely a wheel bearing. The outside wheel in a turn has a higher load. It is conceivable that the noise is a bearing in your transmission - if so, the noise will be greater on a hill or when you are accelerating - higher load. If you feel the vibration through the steering wheel, there is a tire balance, wheel bearing or worn CV joint at work. If you feel the vibration through the chassis or "seat of the pants", it may be a rear wheel or bearing. I recommend a noise inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.